Monday, March 29, 2010

The Dentist

I've been kinda procratinating this post. Not that I don't want to talk about what happened at the dentist with Connor but it's just writing the whole thing out doesn't really make me go yeah. But anyway, here we go!

We woke up that morning probably about 7am. The appointment was set for 9am but I was told to call earlier and see if they were running on time or not. So we woke up and I was hoping they wouldn't start asking to eat because Connor could not eat for 6 hours before his appt so that meant no breakfast. Also, Emily was going to go with Bigi to the park and feed ducks and play and Taylor was going to go with Dad to Knott's Berry Farm. (But more on that later). I was able to stall them after they asked to eat. (whew!) And we continued having them play. At about 8:15 I called and she said why don't you get here at 8:45? So we took off. I got to the dentist and he actually didn't start until 9:30. Whatever. Connor got to watch Thomas in the waiting room and play with some toys there. Before we left the house though, he started to whine and say he didn't want to go to the dentist and Taylor started crying because she WANTED to go to the dentist. Yeah, just you wait until your first exam!

So in waiting all this time, Connor never once asked for something to eat. Only when we were at home. So thankfully I didn't have to hear him whine or cry that he awas hungry. Once it was our turn, the doctor came out and gave Connor a shot to basically put him sleep. He sure didn't like the shot and cried even though the doctor was AWESOME about "sneaking" it in. But after little bit, he was fine. And let's just say, he had one heck of a trip for about 30 seconds before he fell asleep. He was trippin' on his hand and Thomas on TV.

So I took him back to the room and they situated him and started the IV and then started with xrays to see if there were any other cavities besides the original 4. Nope. Whew! BUT two of the cavities were deeper than they thought. One of them had actually infected the root so they had to do a Pulpotomy. The other four were fine and could be filled a "normal" way but this tooth now has a silver crown on it. So now Connor has a silver tooth.

After they were done (it took 1 hour and 40 mins! Yikes!), they placed him in another room where he proceeded to sleep for about an hour, maybe more. Once he woke up, we were free to go home. He was disoriented and dazed but that was "normal". I had to carry him out to the car and we were told his coordination would be off most of the day so no stairs, make sure we pick up things so he won't trip and no playing with other children (do they know he has twin sisters who he LOVES to play with??).

Well on the way home, he was complaining he was dizzy but he still wanted to go to Toys R Us and pick out his Fire Truck. (I had promised the next time we go to the dentist he could go to Toys R Us and pick out a fire truck). I said why don't we go home and rest and then we'll go later that afternoon. He was adamant so I said fine but we had to stop by the house so I could get the stroller. There was no way he'd be able to sit up in a shopping cart in his condition. So we stopped by the house, picked up the stroller (and Daddy tried to convince him not to go to Toys R Us but he started crying so I said we'll just got) and went to Toys R Us. Now I know why I don't go on a Saturday! Gosh there were a lot of people there. But we found a fire truck and went home.

When we got home we moved him into our bedroom and him and I laid down and he watched Dora while I dozed. At around 3pm he said he wanted to go play. I was like are you sure? He said yes. So I said be careful. He was still a little disoriented and walked a little to the side but once he started playing he was pretty much back to his old self. He did fall off the chair once in the living room when he leaved a little too far forward but he just laughed. He started eating at snack time too and never complained about his teeth.

His only complaints were when I took the band aids off his arms. You would have thought I hit him or something the way he was carrying on. He doesn't remember any of it and asks what happened to his cavities. I told him the dentist took them out and threw them away. He has also been asking why he has a silver tooth now. I told him because he had cavities and they needed to fix it. But that now we need to brush and floss better and see the dentist every 6 months for a check up and cleaning and hopefully we'll hear her say see you in 6 months! So hopefully, we can take better care of our teeth.

I know this wasn't necessarily a case of bad brushing. The dentist said because of the way his molars are (deep indentations) we probably couldn't have prevented this but we could have caught it earlier. We put sealants on the other 4 molars that were not fixed. And I've made appts for the twins since the dentist says teeth shape is hereditary. Both the girls are getting their second molars now so we are doing a better job of brushing and we are flossing daily. I will NOT skip a day anymore and they are going to get less juice and candy then they have in the past. We need to keep teeth healthy because I surely do NOT want to go through this again!!

1 comment:

MommyofSweetpea said...

I think Connor did just fine! He is too funny still wanting to go to toys r us! Hopefully everything will be good in the teeth area...poor guy!